PGOLID works together with the Pelican Lake Property Owners Association (PLPOA) to provide education to area residents. The PGOLID Lake Coordinator is involved in many of the educational programs.
- WATER AND WEATHER: Wettest Spring in 142 Years of Monitoring Contributes to Record High Lake Levels
- BREAKAWAY BOGS: Floating “Islands” on Pelican Lake
Additional articles and updates can be found on the PLPOA web page here: http://pelicanlakemn.org/education.html.
PGOLID educational programs have included:
- Educational seminars for lake residents in the summer.
- Articles in the Pelican Brief (Pelican Lake Property Owners Association [PLPOA] Newsletter).
- Educational presentations at PGOLID and PLPOA meetings.
- Maintenance of the PGOLID website.
- Act as a contact and resource for community education and outreach and availability to PGOLID residents for any questions (calls, emails, visits).
- Keep abreast of new state/county/local government lake regulations and disseminate the information in an understandable way to PGOLID residents.
- Work with upstream landowners, farmers, ranchers, and other lake associations to act in a proactive manner in the protection of the water quality that flows into the PGOLID.
Education has focused on the following topics:
- Water quality
- Invasive species
- Shoreline restoration
- Septic system and holding tank maintenance
- Aquatic plants and algae
- The importance of maintaining native aquatic plants such as bulrush
- Boater stewardship
- DNR regulations