PGOLID works together with the Pelican Lake Property Owners Association (PLPOA) to provide education to area residents. The PGOLID Lake Coordinator is involved in many of the educational programs.
Educational articles and updates can be found on the PLPOA web page here: http://pelicanlakemn.org/education.html.
PGOLID educational programs have included:
- Educational seminars for lake residents in the summer.
- Articles in the Pelican Brief (Pelican Lake Property Owners Association [PLPOA] Newsletter).
- Educational presentations at PGOLID and PLPOA meetings.
- Maintenance of the PGOLID website.
- Act as a contact and resource for community education and outreach and availability to PGOLID residents for any questions (calls, emails, visits).
- Keep abreast of new state/county/local government lake regulations and disseminate the information in an understandable way to PGOLID residents.
- Work with upstream landowners, farmers, ranchers, and other lake associations to act in a proactive manner in the protection of the water quality that flows into the PGOLID.
Education has focused on the following topics:
- Water quality
- Invasive species
- Shoreline restoration
- Septic system and holding tank maintenance
- Aquatic plants and algae
- The importance of maintaining native aquatic plants such as bulrush
- Boater stewardship
- DNR regulations